Villains have always defined some of the greatest stories to take place in literature. Without them, some of our most favourite books might not have turned out the way they did. To write a villain, characterize them, and bring them to their fate, takes extremely good writing. As a a writer, villains are the hardest to bring to life, so the mention of some of the greatest villains in English literature definitely need a mention.
Here are some of the greatest villains that have graced literature. Villains that took our breath away, scared us, and terrified us to our very souls. Villains that we hated, and some that we wanted dead. Have a read and let us know what you think.
1. O’Brien – 1984
2. Lord Voldemort – Harry Potter Series
3. The White Witch – The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe
4. Pennywise – IT
5. Napoleon – Animal Farm
6. Heathcliff – Wuthering Heights
7. Lady Tremaine (Wicked Stepmother) – Cinderella
8. Hannibal Lecter – Silence of the Lambs